.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Humor, entertainment, reviews, jokes, games, hobbies, and things to keep you occupied for hours. Much more to come soon!


CrispAds Blog Ads

8/12/2005

Can't Get You Out of my Mind!

I have a silly little thing to do when I'm around certain people... get a tune stuck in their head.

Now that may sound pretty tame, but I get quite a kick out of it. One of the people that I like doing this with is my brother-in-law. Pretty much all I have to do is whistle, or sing, a little bit of a tune, and he'll continue doing it for a long time. It could be the middle of July, and if I sing or whistle a few chosen Christmas carols, he'll eventually be doing the same thing. There are other people that I know that this works with too. I usually whistle quite a bit, compared to the average person.

The same thing goes for me though. I seem to get them stuck in my head all day too.

Usually when I wake up in the morning it's to the radio on the alarm. IF there's a song playing on the radio, that song is usually stuck in my head all morning. Does this happen to any of you?

Another thing about music, at least for me, is that I can remember, a lot of the time, where I was or what I was doing when I heard a song before, especially certain 80's songs. They have a certain memory attached to them. Like "Glory Days" by Bruce Springsteen, it always makes me think back to my Freshman year of high school, and going to football practice. They used to have a radio playing in the locker room when we got there, and that song was popular then.

Pretty weird stuff... similar to certain smells having memories attached to them. I have a bunch of scented markers in my drawer at work. They're the same exact markers that we had in school when I was in first grade. They smell like blueberry, cherry, cinnamon, etc... When I smell those markers, I think of way back to my youth, smelling those same smells. It's really weird!

That may be why I like certain holidays so much. Christmas has all those wonderful smells that just stick in my mind. All the great foods that are cooked, the tree itself, and candles. I smell those and it brings back certain images from the past.

7 Comments:

Blogger The Complimenting Commenter said...

I think the song thing is pretty funny. I've heard of people getting songs stuck in their head, but I've never heard of a person doing it to others on purpose. Very creative and original. Great post.

3:16 PM

 
Blogger Mama Mouse said...

Oooooh you've been complimented by the Complimenter him/herself. You deserve it!

I sing Christmas songs year round ... but mostly songs don't get stuck in my head like that ... and smells don't transport me back to years gone by. But I know what you mean ... I have been known to get stupid commercial jingles caught in my head like that.

As for something that takes me back to the past ... usually its words or seeing people in normal everyday acts ... both have the power to stop me dead in my tracks while the tears run down my face or the chuckles emerge unbidden.

Thanks for the great post.

6:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is pretty cool how you get songs in people's heads. I wish I could wistle so I could try it out :(

9:38 PM

 
Blogger duff said...

i was complimented by the complimenting commenter once.

however, i get songs stuck in my head far more frequently- there's something playing on my "mental jukebox" most of the time.

12:00 PM

 
Blogger Mesmur said...

Thanks all for the compliments...

Christmas songs are the easiest to get stuck in memory... Jolly Old St. Nicholas or Up on the Housetop are my personal choices to get stuck in my brother-in-laws head :)

12:30 PM

 
Blogger Sudiegirl said...

I can relate to the song thing as a musician, most definitely.

My problem is, I have inappropriate songs stuck in my head at inopportune times. Example...when the South Park Movie came out, I couldn't get any of the songs out of my head, and do you know how hard it is to sit in church and listen to the sermon while "Kyle's Mom is a Big Fat Bitch" is running through your head? Not a pretty scene.

RE: the scented markers from childhood...I'm glad I'm not the only one hooked on those things. Did you ever play a joke on someone that a marker was scented when it really wasn't and the kid went home with stripes under their nose? I was the kid that went home with stripes under their nose, I was that gullible.

Sigh...
Sudiegirl

7:07 PM

 
Blogger TaraMetBlog said...

Your talents at getting songs stuck in people's heads has worked via your post, cuz Glory Days is now stuck in mine

I love those markers, especially the blueberry one. They do say scent in the sense that is most linked to memory.

10:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home