.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Humor, entertainment, reviews, jokes, games, hobbies, and things to keep you occupied for hours. Much more to come soon!


CrispAds Blog Ads

6/13/2006

Hiccups are annoying!

Hiccups are more annoying than anything for me at this moment!

How many times can a child wake themself up in the middle of the night hiccupping? It's not the fact that she wakes up anymore, it's the fact that in the past 2 night the little one has been awakened from hiccups.

The thing that really pisses me off is that there's not much you can do to get rid of them, at least with an infant. I feel like scaring the crap out of her, but that'd be pretty dumb. Thinking about it though provides some comfort.

I guess the main thing in all this is keeping a sense of humor. Many of you reading this are smirking right now, remembering past experiences that I'm encountering now.

"Honey, she's up again, and has the hiccups."

"Hiccup, Hiccup, Hiccup."

I try to calm her down and put her against my chest, and pat her back slowly. That doesn't do much, other than calming her down.

The thing is, if she wouldn't wake up from the stupid hiccups, she'd probably sleep for another hour or two, maybe more. Instead, she wakes up, and is then hungry.

I DON'T HAVE BOOBS! (Although sometimes she thinks I do...)

My wife usually pumps two bottles each morning, so I can help out in the middle of the night. I usually try to let her sleep from midnight to six, at the least. (I've missed out on her pumping the past few days because of sleeping after being up during the night, DOGGONE IT!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Semaj said...

Hiccups are bad, but I just hate that aftertaste. Even though I don’t have kids of my own, I can imagine that they’re worst for babies.

I usually drink a soda to get rid of them.

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, returning the favor.

3:40 PM

 
Blogger Mama Mouse said...

Hmmmm, I've never had an aftertaste with hiccups! Semaj, maybe you have a bit of Acid Reflux going on.

Tach ... my 1st son was born with an allergy to cow's milk, but we didn't know it. I wasn't breast feeding ... and that wasn't big deal in those days (that I wasn't) so he was getting, OF COURSE, cow's milk based formula! He cried 24 hours a day ... non stop ... he never slept and was in constant pain. The doctor said he was fine ... that he just had colic. Nothing we tried worked. My mother had to come and stay with us for two weeks so that I could get SOME sleep. Mr. Mouse was beyond his element with the constant crying.

That lasted for three weeks!! SOLID! Finally after trying numerous 'old wive's tale' remedies, the doctor finally said to try a soy based formula. It WORKED~! Sleep finally entered the picture and the baby I fully wanted to go back where it came from (LOL) was now a wonderful child that slept through night from that day on!

You WILL get through this ... the hiccups will go away and this will be nothing but a fading memory. Till then, remember, you COULD have a baby with colic, or worse, an allergy to the food it eats!~!

5:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since holding one's breath gets rid of hiccups by increasing the CO2 in the blood, when my baby had the same problem I would either offer a bottle (to safely reduce the amount of breathing a tad by diverting his or her attention to drinking) (perhaps you could offer a bottle of water if she'll take it) -- or I would try cupping my hands around the baby's mouth (without touching the baby's mouth) to slightly recycle some of the air he or she was breathing -- the theory again being that the baby would get a little more carbon dioxide and the hiccups would stop.

It seemed to work -- or maybe the hiccups just ended when they would have anyway.

Don't worry. This stage may seem to be lasting a long time but before you know it, it will be a distant memory.

9:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home